7.08.2012

this procrastinator's sewing project

i will be the first to admit that i procrastinate. i think it happens to everyone. i procrastinate even with crafty projects that i insist i have to do. projects i get so excited about that i run out, buy everything i need, start it and then, let it all sit in a pile while i walk by it weekend after weekend. until this weekend. i crossed off one of those procrastinated projects. (yay for me!)


when our little man was ready to switch to a big boy bed, we decided to get him some new big boy bedding...something different. less baby. more big boy. (i won't stop here and talk about the tears i shed about my little boy growing up so fast...) i found the most perfect new bedding, especially designed for the convertible bed we had. and even better, it already matched the paint and curtains we had in his room. here is the bedding we went with from pottery barn kids. (side note: i'm a total sucker for a really great madras print. i fell in love with this as soon as i saw it.) 


the thing i wasn't totally in love with was the crib skirt that went with it. i was a little queasy at the price, to be totally honest. i knew this bedding wasn't going to be used for anywhere near the amount of time we used his nursery crib bedding, and i thought that i had to be able to make a crib skirt for 1.) less money, 2.) with a little different pattern/print that would give a little extra something to his room.


bring in hobby lobby, a navy cotton broadcloth and two spools of a orange-and-white striped two-inch wide ribbon. 


it was pretty simple. lots of measuring the current crib/bed and double-checking how long i wanted the skirt to hang down. based on these measurements, i went about measuring the fabric, and cutting five main pieces:


1. main center piece (i.e. the piece that will lie on top of the bed springs and underneath the mattress)
2. two shorter pieces that will hang down on the two short sides of the bed
3. two longer pieces that would hang down the two long sides


then, i placed the ribbon along each of the four side pieces, and stitched them down (making sure to use orange thread to match the ribbon). some simple one-inch seams on all sides, and stitching the four sides to the main center piece, and we had a brand new bed skirt for the little man's bed. and i have to say, i was so happy with how the striped ribbon complemented the madras print while still looking boyish.




oh, and my little guy was as happy with it as a three-year-old boy can be. (i did get a "thank you mommy." so it was all worth it.)  




here's to being a little creative everyday,
ashley

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Ashley!! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...